Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Day One

Finally it had arrived. The day we left for Matainui island. I woke at 6.23am to find myself sweating, must be out of excitement i thought. I went into the lounge to find my mum and brother taking my stuff out to the car. I ate a light breakfast which consisted of jam toast and some grapefruit juice. I grabbed my pack and went down to the car. A quick farewell to my dad and sister saw me on my way. We arrived at the port of raglan at roughly 7.25am only to find the rest of the class already there. I was late...

I grabbed my bags and loaded them into the Grumman Albatross seaplane cargo hold and then i went to say goodbye. This time the farewells were a little bit longer and it was quite sad to be leaving my family behind. I boarded the plane and planted myself next to Mac. Then the engine started. It was quite loud at first but my ears eventually got used to the constant rumbling. Me and Mac and a few others cracked jokes to pass the time of take off. We started moving about 5 minutes after the engine started. We left the sea after a while of moving forward in a straight line. My guts lurched in my stomach. It felt quite out of the normal but surprisingly sex i did not throw up all over everyone. After 30 minutes of traveling everyone was certainly more relaxed and my ipod was still ticking away playing Britney Spears "3".

All of a sudden we hit some turbulence and the plane started to go funny. The safety belts light came on but then flashed of again in quick succession. All of a sudden there was chaos the plane just dropped out of the sky and Sam the pilot came screaming out of the cabin on fire screaming " i never passed my flying exams". He then proceeded to jump out of the parachute hatch into the sea below and no doubt to his death. Then everyone started to jump out. We were still probably about 200 metres from sea level so I left it until the last minute to jump. I leaped out far from the plane with my pack on my back. I hit the water and it felt like concrete. All the wind was squeezed from my lungs and I new that the end was near..

But somehow I resurfaced. I gulped for air as i was pulled along in a current. Wait does the sea have steady flows through it like this? I was stuck in a rip. i was dragged along passed a beach line and round a point in an island I recognized the point! We had fell only 200 metres of the coast of Matainui Island. I kept moving around until there was another beach line so i pulled my self out of the rip which had died down a lot. I swam into shore were i found my friends Asser, Ben and Jordan O. No one else was in site. We were lost...

All of a sudden there was a rustle in the bushes and something was moving between the trees and greenery. It was then I collapsed......

No comments:

Post a Comment